SSN Application is easy and its free. Using a K1 and K2 Visa – one way to apply SS Card is apply it right after arrival in US before marriage or before Form I-94 expires and then go back to SSA Office again after the wedding to update the surname by showing the marriage certificate.
Another easier way, in case our Form I-94 expires – we can also apply SSN after EAD/AP Combo card arrived so everything is updated in our SS Card at once. Combo card usually arrived after 2 months upon AOS and EAD/AP Application so it’s not that much of a long wait before we can apply our SSN. Here are the process in obtaining SSN.
- Gather The Requirements:
- Original Birth Certificate (as Evidence of Age)
- Original Passport with K1 and K2 Visa (as Evidence of Identity)
- Form I-94 or if expired already, Form I-766 or EAD Card should be presented (as Evidence of Immigration Status)
- Green card (if available only)
- Marriage Certificate (For proof of Legal Name Change)
- Completed SS-5 Application Form.
- Go to Social Security Office Locator and type in your ZIP Code to find the nearest SSA Office near you.
- Bring the required documents to SSA Office, no appointment needed. It will only take about 15 mins.
At the SSA Office
- Take the queue number automatically from the automated machine.
- Our number was called after 2 minutes, then the lady attending our application took the completed SS-5 Application Form and verified the information on the Passport and EAD Card.
- She just quickly glanced at the Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate and told me its not needed.
- After couple of minutes of typing, she handed a piece of paper to verify the name that will appear on the SS Card and other information such as mailing address and phone number if there’s any correction.
- And then a receipt acknowledging the application was given.
- The actual Social Security Card will be mailed within two weeks after the application.