Naturalization of a Minor Dependent

For those N-400 Applicant who has a minor dependent below 18 yrs old → As per Child Citizenship Act (CCA) of 2000 children under 18 years of age as of Feb. 27, 2001 automatically acquire US Citizenship under former INA 320 and need NOT to file Form N-400 if they meet these following conditions:

  1. The child is a US Lawful Permanent Resident (“green card holder”)
  2. At least one parent must be a US Citizen by birth or naturalization.
  3. The child’s mother naturalizes if the child was born out of wedlock and paternity has not been established by legitimation.
  4. The child is residing in the United States pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence at the time the parent(s) naturalized or thereafter begins to reside permanently in the United States.

Therefore the minor children will immediately become a US Citizen upon their mother’s naturalization.

My 11 year old minor dependent. He entered USA with a K2 Visa together with me.

To serve as evidence of being a US Citizen, after oath taking -we will apply for a US blue passport. That’s the plan!

Dear readers, if you happen to have the same case, I will appreciate if you share your experience. Thank you.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s